Monday, March 10, 2014

Introduction

Hello and thank you for stopping by.

I'd like to invite you on my writer's journey. I am a contemporary realistic fiction writer of books for young adults. That is my present. I was the owner of Central Florida Mental Health, a private practice serving adults, children, and families. Two kids later and that is my past...

Like so many of you, aren't we all trying to figure out where we belong in present day? I think that the past can provide helpful information on what motivates us to continue and also what roadblocks are in our path. Our future goals are what drive us forward.

Sometimes, we lose sight of the most precious gift: Our Present, which is the only point in time over which we have control.

For example: I have my first novel,  a story about a girl with anxiety disorders who wants to escape her criminal past and make a fresh start, out on submission. I have no control over who will pick it up. I can control what I do with my time while I wait. I have chosen to work on my next book, indulge in my love of paper-crafting, and spend time with my family.

I have also chosen to start a blog that will examine the relationship between psychology and writing.

We all have our own baggage we carry with us throughout our lives. Some of these bags lead us to write and can be very therapeutic in the process.

But, what about the characters we create? What makes them tick? Are they believable? Have we done our homework? What about the experiences we are currently facing as authors? Our own emotions impact our work. What if we could transform those emotions into breakthroughs in our writing? Wouldn't that be amazing?

I hope you will accept my invitation to come along for the ride with me, and hopefully we will learn a lot together.

With Love,

Tori Kelley, Ph.D.
www.torikelley.com
Facebook
https://twitter.com/@drtorikelley

No comments:

Post a Comment